Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Callaghan Smerek




Fourteen year old Callaghan Smerek, “discovered” herself through realizing her dreams and talents. I discovered her while she was in French class on Twitter. She is a singer/songwriter/actress from Michigan. Before you even think that the world has too many triple threats running around, check out her music! She has a new sound, not the same old tired music that is so overplayed on your radio station. Callaghan wants to inspire people through her music, and I believe she can do just that. Look for an EP to be released by Blue Jude Records within the next year. When I ask how Callaghan was “discovered”, I really liked her answer, “…I don’t think there’s really a point when you say, wow I was discovered yesterday. I know every time I pick up my guitar, or sit down at the piano or write a song I feel a great sense of accomplishment and that makes me feel successful. I feel happy that I “discovered” that about myself.”
Callaghan got into acting through joining the Screen Actors Guild and booking two national commercials. Callaghan has an enthusiasm for acting and hopes to one day appear in feature films. “It would be really fun to be in a movie that would make people feel so inspired and uplifted.” She currently is studying film at The Dramatic Arts Studio with Christopher Bondy.
The entertainment business is ruthless in some ways, especially to its younger members. In recent years the tabloids seem to be tearing apart the younger stars, as much, if not more than the veterans in the business. I asked Callaghan how she views the industry and the pressure it holds, especially aspiring to enter it at the ripe age of fourteen. She had a great answer:
“The entertainment business is its own world, with its own rules. The public criticizes entertainers like they’re not actual people. The songs we write & the music we play comes from our heart, and it’s hard to listen people tear us down. There are people in this business that try to break you…”
Callaghan says she has a very supportive family that has prepared her well for what is to come. People tend to perceive that younger stars are in their position because their families have “pushed” them into the role; however, I think young stars, like Callaghan Smerek, are to be admired for their drive and dedication to their talents and passions. Callaghan attends school and has been blessed with supportive classmates that attend her shows and encourage her career. When I asked if it’s hard to balance schoolwork/career/social life, this was Callghan’s response:
“Oh my gosh yes! Like on Thursdays! Oh actually like all the time. I have dance lessons, voice lessons, guitar lessons, piano lessons & acting lessons after school. Oh and commercials, auditions, & shows. I’m also recording my record. Plus there’s rehearsal time & homework. It’s pretty insane!! I’m basically the weird girl that doesn’t go to parties or dances…but there’s only so much you can do in a week ya know?”
This about sums up her dedication to her crafts!
Callghan’s dream career right now is in music, but she seems to be covering all her bases, and at the age of fourteen, the possibilities are endless. I asked where she saw herself in five years (which would put her at the current age of Taylor Swift) and she said “I’m trying to be super optimistic by reaching for the stars, but I try to be realistic too. My dream career is one in music. No matter what, I’m going down a musical road and hopefully it’ll lead to great success. So in 5 years maybe headlining a tour & winning awesome awards? I love music.”
Look for the name Callaghan Smerek in the near future, she is definitely an upcoming star of note, with the drive, passion, intelligence, and talent to back her up- she is writing her own success story.


Check out Callaghan on the Web:
http://www.myspace.com/callaghansmerek

UPDATE: Check out Callaghan singing this catchy ringtone for Wendy's:
Pookie Bear

5 comments:

  1. This girl is unbelievable and along with all her "busy schedules" she is an honor student. You are truly a shining star Callahan

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stars are shining brightly BUT the up and coming brightest of all is Caleigh. She knows how to balance herself and remain focused. She's preparing herself for an exciting ride of her life in the music business. Caleigh, you are an amazingly bright star. We are all so-o-o proud of you!
    Love you lots. Grt. A J

    ReplyDelete
  3. I discovered Callaghan when I found out she was the one that sings the "Pookie Bear" song in the national Wendy's commervial. That song is AWESOME!!! I hope she makes more catchy tunes like that. She seems to have a great sense of humor. Comedy may be in her future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you aware you are on a BDSM site called collar me.And if you are you to young to be.
    If you are not aware contact the police as someone has stolen your i.d

    ReplyDelete