Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Music of a friendship

I had the privilege of attending my best friend's Master's recital tonight. I have never been more proud. Music is in his soul. Seriously, when he's not playing he's thinking about playing, singing, or doing something musical.
We often talk about how art and music moves people, and outside of artistic communities, people don't understand how art stirs our souls.
As I watched my friend, whom I've known for 15 years, absolutely OWN the stage of Sculler's Jazz Club in Boston, I found myself in tears. We have been through surgeries, deaths, and countless crises together, but, friendship isn't just about being there for each other in the tough times, it's about sharing the happy times too.
 It was an awesome moment to see Nate on that stage, with a packed club, everyone's ears attentive to him.
As the music played, flashing through my mind were the moments that have made our relationship all these years.
Suddenly, being in sixth grade on the playground felt like yesterday. I couldn't have imagined sitting on the phone at 1 AM, sobbing in college with anyone else besides him. His music made me move through all the stages of my own life and helped me to see that I'm so glad he was a part of it, and that I in turn could be a part of his life.
By the last song, Nate was joined by other close friends to a roaring crowd to play a Streetlight Manifesto cover that blew everyone away, it was clear that he was in fact exactly where he was supposed to be.      
If there is just one thing Nate and I have in common (although we have many more) it's that we have had to struggle in life. But when we finally accomplish things, they happen in a big way. I am so proud of how far he has come, so happy I made it 3,000 miles to see the show, and excited to what the next chapter brings.
This lesson from my personal book of life, is to say- go where the music takes you, because the moment you discover how all the pieces in your life fit together is like a symphony playing in harmony. In this moment you truly realize, "...when we fall we fall together."
     
             

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more Ashley! Really great article! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a touching article Ashley. I like that we have a history of making waves in the pond. I am also very flattered. Only a true best friend would take a flight from 3 thousand miles away to see a recital. We came a long way since that picture above but one thing still is the same, our resilient friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ash, love your article, your a very good friend may you never change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful statement on true friendship! Great portrait Ashley!

    ReplyDelete